Thursday, May 10, 2007

36

I have a little site meter on my blog. Nothing fancy, although it took me a few weeks to figure out how to install it properly. For those of you unfamiliar with site meters, they keep track of how many people visit your site each week, how long they hang out for, etc. I have been stunned the last couple of weeks when I’ve opened up my report and found that fairly consistently I’ve had 33-36 visitors per week at my site. Thirty-six? Now that could be thirty-six unique visitors, or it could be one person who doesn’t really have enough going on in their day. I prefer to think that it’s closer to the former.

But over the last two weeks, it’s been sort of haunting me. I really thought that maybe one or two people were stopping by occasionally, just to see if there was anything new up, just to be polite, just checking in. But thirty-six? Now I feel responsible. If all of you are going to go to the trouble of showing up, the least I can do is post a little more than nearly never.

Thanks, by the way, for sticking around.

So I’m working on a spec script. It’s a half-hour tv spec. I think it’s pretty good. I’m amusing myself with it, which is about all you can hope for in your own writing. It has the word “boobies” in it. I think that speaks for itself. I’m entering it in a couple of upcoming competitions. Thought you’d like to know.

I just read an article about improving efficiency in your life. One of the mandates was to stop multi-tasking because that kind of distracting, split-focus doesn’t work. Of course, if you are a parent of a small child, or even a medium, large or extra-large child for that matter, you know that this is just crap. If I didn’t multi-task, the only thing I’d actually complete during my day is the sentence, “Just a second.” Children don’t live in a linear time plane. Time is irrelevant. Everything must happen instantaneous and simultaneously. The only time I get to dump multi-tasking is for the few minutes before bed when I work on a Sudoku puzzle just so my brain shuts down enough to go to sleep. I multi-task to keep my head above water. There was a time when I didn’t multi-task and I still had plenty of time to do everything that was important to me. But that was B.C. (Before Children). I am always astonished at the amount of time I wasted B.C. and for the most part, I was a pretty busy person. I think if I could get that kind of time back, I could cure cancer, bring about world peace and make a pan of vegetarian rice crispy squares to scarf down while watching Grey’s Anatomy. Speaking of- Am I the only one hoping that the spin-off will finally be the star vehicle Taye Diggs deserves?

On that note, I need to go to bed before I make said pan of treats and end up channel surfing for the rest of the night.

Thanks again thirty-six. Let’s do it again real soon.

1 comment:

ELR said...

I completely agree with you about the multi-tasking! Tonight is not my turn for bedtime, so at the moment I am not multi-tasking but that's rare in my life right now. I am one of the 36 who checks in every week to see if you have anything new up. I posted new pics in mine by the way, if you want to take a look. Have a good weekend!
Erica